Reliance on volunteers has driven Century House’s philosophy.
- We have created a supportive and inclusive environment in which seniors can offer their skills and talents while encouraging and supporting their peers to develop their own potential and share the leadership.
- Uniquely among seniors activity centres, our members take on leadership roles for our Executive and Activity Groups. We encourage members to assume leadership roles and to actively participate in operational decisions regarding the activities and services provided at the Centre.
Is this making you feel like volunteering? Read on:
- Taking a leadership role is an opportunity to learn new skills, and/or to continue to use skills from a past profession or business life. Keeping oneself challenged is a good way to keep your brain active, and to continue expanding one’s horizon.
- Becoming involved in a group encourages personal development such as confidence-building and communication skills. Many people don’t see themselves as leaders, but taking a role on a Committee helps, you to recognize the skills and talents that you do have to offer and gives you a sense of purpose.
As of January 2024:
We have 216 active volunteer positions:
- 149 on the Executive or leading Activity Groups
- 18 in the office
- 32 food service
- 17 Peer Support
- 15 concierges
We are always looking for volunteers willing to Make It Happen. If you are interested in helping, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator Jill Howey at 604-519-1023, or ask for her at the front desk. It might be the best thing you’ve ever done for yourself.
For more information on volunteering with the City, read this.
Last Reviewed on 2024-02-06